Wednesday, March 15, 2006

The last couple days' activities

The last couple of days I've been rather depressed with the huge exception of when I've been conducting on-camera interviews. I've done one each in the last two days after work, and each time as I head towards my appointment I feel a weight being lifted. Not just a sign that filmmaking is my calling (or at least a thereapeutic outlet) but that these interviews are really one of the rare chances I have to really connect with someone and have an intense interaction.

The one on Monday was with Retu Singla, the civil attorney for Rajinder Singh Khalsa, one of my main subjects. She was very articulate about the challenges facing the South Asian immigrant community in finding and utilizing the legal resources that are available to them. Hopefully Khalsa's case will make those resources more visible and encourage South Asians to access them. More on the civil case later as the trial progresses...

Last night I had a very enjoyable evening with Varinder "Vindi" Rathore, a psychologist who has been very active in bringing social health services to the Sikh and Punjabi immigrant community in New York City. I showed him footage that I shot from a health fair that he helped organize in a gurdwara in Richmond Hill, Queens, in which free health screenings and other services were provided for community members. I also showed him footage that I shot in Amritsar, India last summer, as part of an experimental short I am working on exploring how different viewers, Sikh and non-Sikh, respond to the same footage. More on that as that project continues...

No comments: